They continued to San Bernardino. According to Maude Cooley Barnes, they met the Mormons at "Bitter Springs" in the spring of 1857, when the latter was returning to Zion. The Cooleys arrived in San Bernardino in May 1857, and bought an extensive farm about four miles south of town. This is the way the ranch appeared in the 1880's.
Cooley Ranch, c. 1885
For a number of years Mr. Cooley served as a county supervisor. "The Hall of Records and Court House are objects of his pride, as he saw to it that the money of the people was judiciously and economically used in their construction, thus establishing himself strongly in the confidence of the people."1
Cooley Lane, leading to the Cooley Ranch, may be seen immediately to the west of the San Bernardino-Riverside Freeway. The home and barns pictured are still standing, and occupied by members of the Cooley family.
1 Brown and Boyd, op. cit., p.688.