• Email
  • Print
Sorry, this page has moved!
Please click here to go to the new location.

Code Enforcement Division

Contact Us

Code Enforcement

P: (909) 384-7272

Office Address
201 North E St
Third Floor
San Bernardino, CA 92401

Office Hours
Monday - Friday
7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Counter Service Hours
Monday - Friday
7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.



Our neighborhoods are the environment in which we live and raise our families. Blight and nuisances can devalue, detract, and degrade the quality of any neighborhood. Recognizing the importance of protecting the home environment, the City has adopted codes that govern the use and maintenance of private property. While many of the City's codes deal with private residential property, there are codes that regulate the condition of commercial properties as well.

List of San Bernardino Municipal Codes
City of San Bernardino Development Code



1. Vehicles may park on the street, but must be in running condition. If not operable, i.e., no wheels, engine, etc., they can be towed by the City. They must also have current licenses and registration.

2. Vehicles can be parked on the driveway, but must be in running condition. If they appear inoperable or junked out, you may be asked to remove them.

3. A vehicle cannot be parked on a unpaved surface (dirt or lawn) area or lot.

4. You can work on your own personal car in your driveway but only for a short time. It must be registered at that address.

5. A vehicle must not block a sidewalk or any other public right-of-way.

6. Commercial trucks and trailers (semi-trucks) cannot be parked on the street in a residential neighborhood except when loading and unloading.

Call Parking Enforcement at 388-4969.

7. Call 384-5205 for information or complaints about abandoned vehicles on public or private property.

8. Recreation vehicles cannot be parked on the street for more than 48 continuous hours. After 48 hours the vehicle must be moved at least 500 feet for a minimum of 48 hours before it can be returned.

9. Recreation vehicles stored on residential properties must be parked on a paved pad and screened from public view to a height of 6 feet.


The operation of a junk yard or auto dismantling yard is allowed only in an industrial zone and requires a special permit from the City Planning Commission. This kind of operation is not allowed in a residential neighborhood.


You are allowed to have a yard sale on the 3rd weekend of every month ("weekend" means Friday, Saturday & Sunday).  No signs are allowed to be posted on public property (i.e. utility poles).  Citations may be issued if you conduct a yard sale on non-designated weekends.  For more information please call 909-384-5205.

Garage / Yard Sale schedule dates (2017-2018)


Persons seen "dumping" their trash in public or private places can be prosecuted for this violation if the following information is available:

1. Name and address of violator.
2. Eye-witness testimony.
3. Vehicle license plate number.
4. Physical description of violator.


Every year the City surveys all vacant lots for weed control. Notices are mailed to owners advising them to cut or plow the weeds. For those owners who don't do it, the City sends out special contractors to remove weeds. The cost to do this is billed to the property owner.


Any accumulation of garbage, trash, appliance, car parts, old furniture, scrap materials, etc. that is a visual blight to the neighborhood must be removed from the property. Call 384-5205 for information or complaints.


1. Buildings cannot be left abandoned, partially destroyed or in an unreasonable state of partial construction.

2. Unpainted buildings or paint that has been allowed to deteriorate so as to become unsightly are unlawful property nuisances.

3. Buildings may not be left with broken glass or no glass at all. This constitutes a hazardous condition and invites trespassers and malicious mischief.

4. Graffiti must be painted over or removed.


1. Front and visible side yards are required to be landscaped (except for improved surfaces including but not limited to walks and driveways) with trees, shrubs, ground cover or decorative rock, redwood bark and/or lawn.

2. Trees, shrubs, lawns and other plantings shall be maintained, including regular irrigation, pruning of trees, trimming of shrubs and cutting lawns.

3. Property shall be free of overgrown or dead vegetation, including but not limited to weeds, trees or limbs.


If you see a street or alleyway with piles of trash or debris, call Public Works at 384-5045.


There are rules for building fences. Generally your backyard fence and side yard fence can't be more than 6 feet high.

A front yard fence can't be more than 3 feet in height. This 3-foot rule also applies to fences on street corners or areas adjacent to driveways. Call Community Development at 384-5057 if you have any questions about building a fence.


Effective January 1, 2009, the Public Works Department will have the responsibility to remove graffiti throughout the City. The graffiti removal program is a multi-faceted endeavor which involves various City departments, but we need your help to ensure unsightly graffiti is removed quickly and vandals are caught. Calls for graffiti removal can be forwarded to the Operations & Maintenance Division at extension 5045. Also, the current graffiti removal hotline is active and citizens can report all graffiti to 909-384-5250.


The City will seek voluntary compliance whenever possible. But should it become necessary, the Municipal Code provides penalties:

1) Criminal Citation-Maximum penalty of $1000.00 fine for every day a violation exists.

2) The City may have the work done at the owners expense-in addition to paying the cost of the abatement the property owner will be charged city administrative costs. If the bill is not paid it may be placed on the owners property taxes.


Home Repair Programs for Low / Moderate Income Home Owners

Call Neighborhood Housing Services at 884-6891 for information

Loose Dogs or Animal Complaints

Animal Control Division, 384-1304 - 24 Hours

Stopped-up Street Drains

Department of Public Works, 384-5045

Non-working Traffic Signals

Department of Public Works, 384-5111

Trees & Bushes Blocking Traffics Signals

Department of Public Works/Operations & Maintenance Division


Police Department

Emergency 911

Non-Emergency/Information 384-5742

Shopping Carts

Shopping Cart Retrieval Corp. 1-800-252-4613