• Email
  • Print

Public Works-Operations & Maintenance Division

The Operations & Maintenance Division maintains City street surfaces, traffic signals, signs, street lighting, sidewalks, curbs, gutters and storm drains. Please note, sewer mains are now maintained by the San Bernardino Municipal Water Department. Select from the following links for more information:

Customer Service
Monday - Thursday 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
909-384-5059 fax

To report hazardous conditions after business hours, please call Fire Dispatch at 909-384-5777.

Bees or Insects
To report problems with bees or other insects, contact the County of San Bernardino Vector Control at 909-388-4600.

Debris in the Right-of-Way, Public Streets, or Alleys (Illegal Dumping)
Dumping debris in any public street is strictly prohibited and punishable by a fine or jail time or both! Please refer to San Bernardino Municipal Code 12.44.060 and 1.12.010 for detailed information. Please help us keep the city clean by reporting those who are illegally dumping by submitting a report (include car make/model and license plate if possible) to 909-384-7272 or through the City's online portal or GORequest mobile app.

If you need to dispose of excess or bulky waste, such as tires, furniture, renovation scrap, stumps or large limbs from private trees, appliances, etc, please consider the following options:

  1. Donate useable goods to local thrift stores or non-profit organizations - Zero Waste Communities Directory
  2. Recycle metal scrap, tires, wood, concrete, etc - Zero Waste Communities Directory
  3. Call Burrtec to schedule a bulky item pickup at 909-804-4222.
  4. Take to any one of the 11 Community Dump Days throughout the year. They usually take place the last Saturday of the month, except for November due to the holiday. Click here for the most current Community Dump Day schedule. 
  5. Take to a San Bernardino County landfill - click here for more information. The Operations & Maintenance Division maintains the right-of-of way, public streets, and public alleys. The right-of-way is typically the area between the sidewalk and curb. Public alleys are used for access to garages, residences, or businesses and are generally paved.

Graffiti Removal
Please report graffiti by calling the SB Direct at 909-384-7272 or utilize the City's online portal or GORequest mobile app.

Potholes & Sinkholes in City Streets
It is the goal of the Operations & Maintenance Division to maintain City streets in good repair, including repair of potholes and sinkholes.

Sandbag Locations
Prepare your home for the storm season.

Click here for the sandbag locations.

You can purchase sand and sandbags at your local home improvement center.

Don't forget to bring your own shovel and gloves!

For additional information on how to protect your home and property during the stormy season visit www.sbcounty.gov/floodinfo

Sewer Maintenance
There are approximately 510 miles of sewer main line throughout the City. To keep the sewer main line functioning properly, crews routinely clean and inspect the sewer main lines to make sure they are working properly and to prevent backups.

The property owner is responsible for maintaining the sewer lateral line from the residence or business to the sewer main line, including the portion under the sidewalk, curb, and street. If repairs to the sewer lateral are required, the property owner will need to make the repairs or hire a qualified plumber. If repairs extend into the City right-of-way or street, a permit is required. Contact the San Bernardino Municipal Water Department Engineering Division at 909-453-6162 for further information. For general service questions, please call the San Bernardino Municipal Water Department's customer service number at 909-384-5095.

Fats, oils, and grease that are put into the sewer system by food service establishments, homes, apartments, and other sources are a major cause of sewer line blockage leading to increased maintenance and can cause Sanitary Sewer Overflow. These overflows may pollute surface or ground water, and threaten public health. Other causes of Sanitary Sewer Overflow are root blockages, manhole structure failures, vandalism, pump station mechanical failures, power outages, sewer system age, and construction material failures.

To report sewer problems after business hours, please call Fire Dispatch at 909-384-5777.

Shopping Carts
Abandoned shopping carts should be reported to 1-800-252-4613.

Sidewalks, Curbs, & Gutters
The City of San Bernardino provides concrete repairs for sidewalks and curb-gutters as a service to residents as funds are available each fiscal year. Funds are limited and it may be several years before permanent repairs can be completed at a specific location. All locations are placed in our database for permanent repairs. Scheduling permanent repairs is determined by surveys of an area based on the service requests. Sidewalks receive priority attention due to the risk to public safety.

The City responds to eliminate any potential pedestrian tripping hazards that exist on the sidewalk. The Public Works Department will perform (or in some cases may have already performed) some temporary repair work on the sidewalk as necessary for the immediate safety of pedestrians using the sidewalk. The City makes temporary repairs such as grinding or patching on the sidewalks to assure that the sidewalk and curbs will not endanger persons or property and to make it safe for pedestrians.

If you feel that you are unable to wait for permanent repairs at your residence, the City may issue you a permit allowing you to have the damaged concrete repaired by a licensed contractor at your own expense.

Sidewalks located within gated communities, apartment and condominium complexes are private property and are not maintained by the City. All repairs to these sidewalk are the responsibility of the property owner or homeowner's association.

The ultimate responsibility to maintain the sidewalk in a safe condition lies with the property owner. (San Bernardino Municipal Code Section 12.92.040)

The Operations & Maintenance Division maintains street name signs and traffic signs on City streets.

To report graffiti on a street name sign or traffic sign, please call SB Direct at 909-384-7272.

Street Lights
The City is currently experiencing an increase in copper wire theft from City street lights. This has resulted in an increase in the length of time it will take to complete work orders for street light repairs. City employees who service the street lights drive white pick up trucks or bucket trucks with the City logo on the doors and will typically wear orange shirts with the City logo. Only emergency repairs to street lights are done after hours and on weekends. Residents are encouraged to report any suspicious activity around street light poles to the Police Department at 911.

The Operations & Maintenance Division maintains street lights on cement poles on City streets and the street lights on traffic signal poles. Street lights on wooden poles and some metal poles are maintained by Southern California Edison. You may call Edison at 1-800-611-1911 to report problems with street lights on wooden poles. Street lights that are maintained by Edison have a pole number that ends in the letter E.

Storm Drains
The Operations & Maintenance Division maintains approximately 118 miles of storm drains and 1,535 street culverts. To keep the storm drains functioning properly, the drains, street culverts, catch basins, and other related facilities are cleaned and inspected for good operating and environmental conditions.

If a problem occurs after business hours, call Fire Dispatch at 909-384-5777.

Traffic Signals
The Operations & Maintenance Division maintains traffic signals on City streets. If a traffic signal is flashing, dark (no signals working), or if a light is burned out, please call our Customer Service line.

If an intersection is dark (no signals working) after business hours, please call Fire Dispatch at 909-384-5777. Burned out lights and signals on flash do not need to be reported to Fire Dispatch.

Facilities Management Section
The Facilities Management Section maintains more than a 100 City buildings, from the 105,000 square foot Class A office space of City Hall to the smallest park restrooms. There are twelve fire stations, four libraries, two senior centers, the police headquarters, a minor league baseball stadium and many other buildings.

  • Building Maintenance
  • Custodial Services
  • Utilities
  • Project Management

Building Maintenance

For emergencies please call 909-384-5140 during normal business hours. After hours or on the weekends please contact Fire Dispatch at 909-384-5777, they will contact someone in the Facilities Management Division to service the problem. We define emergency as something that may life threatening or cause damage to the building.

Rick Moreno, Supervisor  |  Moreno_Ri@SBCity.org

These gentlemen are responsible for all aspects of building maintenance, preventive maintenance, improvement, and alterations.

Custodial Services

 The division has a staff of more than 40 and provides housekeeping services to contracted facilities and performs set-up for special events.


More than 1,800 City utility accounts are audited and paid monthly. For questions about water, gas or electricity service at City facilities please contact Susan Davis at Davis_Su@SBCity.org.

Project Management

The Facilities Division contracts large projects with construction contractors for their ability to compete the work on a shorter schedule or specialty services. Currently there are several energy efficiency projects on the horizon funded by the ARRA, lighting retrofits in City Hall, the Feldheym Library, and the Police Headquarters. The division is also taking advantage of the Southern California Edison On Bill Financing program do lighting retrofits in several Fire Station and Senior Centers.